I found this beautiful flower while out walking in the neighborhood.
* the pointed tips of the leaves were taken to represent the Holy Lance
* the tendrils represent the whips used in flagellation of Christ
* the 10 petals and sepals represent the 10 faithful apostles (they excluded St. Peter who denied Jesus and Judas who betrayed him)
* the radial filaments represent the crown of thorns
* the chalice-shaped ovary with its receptacle represents a hammer or the Holy Grail
* the 3 stigmas represent the 3 nails and the 5 anthers below them the 5 wounds
No wonder it’s also called Jesus flower.
For further reading about Passiflora, click HERE.